Grants for International Educators

Grants for International Educators

As part of the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program, Fulbright Schuman awards scholarships to international education professionals at European universities who are interested in conducting research at a U.S. university on an issue related to international higher education and/or best practices in this field. The International Educator grants are open to European citizens to conduct research at an accredited U.S. institution for a period between three months and one academic year (9 months). Applicants must present a letter of affiliation from an accredited university or non-profit research institution. Research projects should provide a comparative US-EU perspective on global issues within international higher education and/or share best practices within the field.


Research related to international higher education


September 15 till December 1 (at noon CET) 


Review eligibility requirements below and include all required documents in your online application.


Scholarship of up to 3000 euro per month (USD equivalent)

J-1 visa sponsorship

Pre-departure orientation in Belgium or at local Fulbright Commission

Travel stipend of 2000 euro (USD equivalent)

Sickness and accident benefits

In-country programming (e.g. seminars, local advisor)

Prestigious title and access to alumni network


Citizenship in an EU Member State

Proficiency in English

Candidates do not need to hold a PhD but must have a bachelor’s degree and at least three years of experience in the field of international education

Academic/professional experience of 3+ months in two or more EU Member States recommended

Academic excellence or outstanding personal or professional background

Factors that may make an applicant ineligible for the Fulbright Schuman Program include: current employment/traineeship at the European Commission, strong professional ties to European institutions, current or former residence in the United States, and lack of experience outside of home country. Current officials of Community institutions are not eligible to apply. No candidate may receive Fulbright Schuman funding in concurrence with other EC funding (e.g. Marie Curie) for the same activity.


Americanized resume/CV

3-5 page single-spaced Project Statement

1-3 page Bibliography of References relevant to the proposed research

Diploma of most recent degree including transcripts with completed coursework. (certified translation in English unless the original documents are in Dutch, French or German)

Three letters of recommendation (uploaded directly into online application by chosen recommenders)

Letter of affiliation from a U.S. host institution; this letter should contain the institution’s letterhead, mention the exact dates (or academic term), the objective of your research stay as well as any facilities you will have access to during your grant

All these documents must be included in your application by December 1. Please note that we do NOT require supplemental forms such as a letter from your home institution or official test results (e.g. TOEFL). You may include test results in the appropriate application fields if you so desire.


The application period to apply for this grant is between September 15 and December 1 for applicants who intend to start their program in the next academic year.

E.g. if you intend to start a program in the academic year of 2022-2023, you will need to apply for a grant between September 15 and December 1, 2021. 

Every applicant needs to complete an online application in English by noon (Central European Time) on December 1 including the required documents. No papers should be mailed to our office and it is not required for applicants to contact us before starting their application. Incomplete applications will not be considered for an award. When creating an online account to start a new application, preferably use a personal email address instead of a temporary work or school address.

When filling out the initial fields of the online application in the ‘Preliminary Questions’ section, applicants MUST select ‘European Union (Schuman)’ as the Program Country. This indicates that you are applying for a Fulbright Schuman award and ensures that your application is sent to our office and not to a different Fulbright Commission. In the ‘Country Information’ section you also need to specify that you are applying for the International Educator Award. We strongly encourage you to send us an email after submitting your application to make sure that our office has received your application for the Fulbright Schuman Program.

The Fulbright Program is the flagship international educational exchange program of the U.S. Department of State. Keep in mind that the program is all about promoting mutual understanding through cultural diplomacy.

The most competitive applicants for Fulbright awards demonstrate ambassadorial qualities and a genuine interest in cultural exchange. It is important for candidates to be able to articulate a clear, creative, and feasible plan for their time in the United States and to explain why right now is the right time to pursue this plan and how their grant will ultimately help them achieve their personal and professional goals in the future. The Commission is looking for candidates who will have a multiplier effect within their U.S. and European communities and who wish to ultimately return to the European Union to share their newfound knowledge and experience after their grant has ended. Candidates are responsible for applying and securing letters of affiliation their own.

Competition closed

Before starting a new application, please review the Application Guidelines on how to complete the online application.


September 15

Online application opens

December 1

Deadline to submit online application (by noon CET)

Late January

Top-ranked applicants receive invitation for Skype interview

Late February

Successful applicants notified of selection

Late March

Successful applicants notified of official approval by the Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board


Start of document collection process for J-1 visa


I am an EU citizen living abroad. Can I apply? + -

As an EU citizen, you may apply for a Fulbright Award if you are living in any country except the United States. If you are resident in the United States, a dual U.S. citizen, or hold a Green Card at the time of application, you are ineligible to apply.

I do not have EU citizenship, but am currently living/studying/working there. Am I eligible to apply for the Fulbright Program? + -

No. Eligibility for the Fulbright Program is based on nationality, not residence.

I am a British citizen. Am I eligible to apply for the Fulbright Schuman Program? + -

Starting from the competition for 2021-2022, British citizens are no longer eligible for the Fulbright Schuman Program since the United Kingdom officially left the Europeon Union as of January 2020.

I am an EU citizen currently pursuing my studies in the United States. Am I eligible to apply for the Fulbright Program? + -

Candidates already in the United States at the time of application and those who have resided in the U.S. for five or more years in the six-year period preceding the date of application are ineligible to apply. Moreover, please note that preference will be given to those who have not had substantial recent experience in the U.S. with “substantial recent experience” being study, research or employment for a period of aggregating more than an academic year (9 months) during the past five years.

Am I responsible for arranging my own affiliation/acceptance to my host institution? + -

Yes. Applying to a host institution in the United States is a separate, simultaneous process. Please note that if you have chosen a university as your host institution, its accreditation should be recognized by either the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the U.S. Department of Education. Non-typical host institutions for researchers need to have non-profit status and can be research institutions or facilities, think tanks, museums, libraries or post-secondary accredited educational institutions.

As a participant in the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program, will I be subject to the two-year home requirement after my grant? + -

Yes. All Fulbright grantees must travel to the U.S. on a J-1 visa, which requires them to return to their country of permanent legal residency for at least two years at some point after their grant before they are allowed to return to the U.S. to live or work permanently on an H, L, K or LPR visa. More information about the two-year rule can be found here, and a list of documents that fulfill the proof of legal residency requirement for each EU country can be found here.

When do I need to provide proof of affiliation/acceptance to a U.S. university in my application? + -

Students can provide their letter of affiliation as late as May. Scholars must upload invitation letters from their host institutions by the December 1 deadline.

The online application has asked me to do something different to the application instructions on the website. What should I do? + -

The online application system is used by Fulbright Programs around the world, and application procedures differ greatly from country to country. You must follow the guidelines presented by the Fulbright Commission in Brussels.

Does the Fulbright Commission in Brussels require me to contact them before beginning the application? + -

We do NOT require applicants to contact us before beginning the application. Please begin your application without contacting us.

Does the Fulbright Commission in Brussels require supplemental forms? + -

We do NOT require supplemental forms such as a letter from your home institution or official test results (e.g., TOEFL). The required documents that need to be included in your application can be viewed above.

Can I mail physical documents to the Fulbright Commission? + -

No. The application is completed entirely online.

I submitted an application but never heard from the Fulbright Commission. What happened? + -

If you have not received any communication from the Fulbright Commission by late January, it is very likely that we did not receive your application. Usually, this is because you did not select “European Union” as the Program Country when initially filling out your application and, as a result, your application was sent to another Fulbright Program office.

What happens if I am offered a Fulbright Award, but not a place at university? + -

If you are not accepted to a U.S. university, the offer of a Fulbright Award will be withdrawn.

Can I apply to more than one Fulbright Program? + -

No. Applicants are only allowed to apply for one Fulbright grant per year. Applicants may therefore not simultaneously submit applications for a Fulbright-Schuman award and a Fulbright award administered by their local commission.

Does the Fulbright Commission cover the cost of tuition/fees at my host institution? + -

No. The Fulbright Commission provides a scholarship (including a travel stipend) and other benefits, as detailed above. However, no additional funds are available for tuition/fees at the host institution.

Does the Fulbright Commission provide additional support for dependents? + -

No. Although grantees may choose to bring their spouse and/or young children with them on a J-2 visa which can be sponsored by the Fulbright Commission, we do not provide additional financial support for grantees with dependents

Is the amount of the awarded grant calculated based on location in the U.S.? + -

No. The Fulbright Commission offers standardized monthly stipends regardless of the candidate’s residence in the U.S. Please note that study and living costs vary in the U.S. 

The Fulbright Schuman Program, administered by the Fulbright Commission in Belgium and jointly financed by the U.S. State Department and the Directorate-General for Education and Culture of the European Commission awards grants to European citizens to conduct research in the United States and to American citizens to conduct research in the European Union.