Chair at College of Europe/EUI

Each year one American scholar will be selected to lecture on the topic of US-EU relations at the College of Europe ( in Brugge, Belgium or the European University Institute ( in Florence, Italy. The universities rotate depending on the year. During the 2013-2014 academic year, the Chair will be located at the College of Europe. In 2014-2015, it will be located at EUI.

Among the previous Chairholders are Professors John McCORMICK, Alan HENRIKSON, Wayne THOMPSON, David L. CLEETON and Glenda ROSENTHAL.

The successful grantee will receive a 3,000 euro/month stipend, along with a 2,000 euro travel relocation grant and a “lecturing stipend” determined by the university.

Strong applicants include current professors of EU studies or related academic fields, as well as professionals from EU-related think tanks. Proficiency in the language of the host institution is recommended but not required. Candidates may not reside in Europe at the time of application. For more information and to apply by the August 1 deadline, US applicants should visit:

Watch and listen to Former Fulbright Chair Alan Henrikson speak about his experience.

Approximately two to four one-semester awards for post-doctoral lecturing on EU affairs, US-EU relations, integration and/or political economy at a selected U.S. university will be granted. Successful candidates will be placed in an appropriate institution. Detailed information on the U.S. universities requesting a EU Scholar-in-Residence is available in December of each year. A Fulbright-Schuman grant includes a monthly stipend of the euro equivalent of $3,000, a travel and relocation allowance of the euro equivalent of $ 3,000, health and accident insurance, and visa sponsorship.

For American scholars the deadline is August 1, for American students the deadline is late October.



Candidates must:

  • be citizens of the U.S.;
  • be professionals (decision makers, policy makers, individuals in industry, the media, politics, academia and public administration);
  • have at least two years of work-related experience beyond the bachelor’s degree;
  • have a doctoral degree or equivalent professional experience and at least two years of professional experience before departure for the United States (research candidate);
  • have the necessary university credentials to be accepted into an American graduate program and two years of professional experience (student category);
  • have academic/professional experience in at least two different E.U. countries;
  • have personal qualities, a proven level of academic or professional excellence as well as outstanding records;
  • be proficient in English.

* Please note that current or retired officials of Community institutions are not eligible to apply.

All interested candidates must complete a preliminary application in order to assess their eligibility for the program.

Please note there were no U.S. universities who requested an EU scholar for this award for the academic year 2010-2011.

UACES aims to bring together academics involved in researching Europe with practitioners active in European affairs.

Please read more information about the terms and conditions for the Fulbright grants including important visa information on the following link:

  • US citizens living in the EU at the time of application are not eligible to apply
  • Scholars who have previously held a J visa in the professor or research scholar category are not eligible for sponsorship again in those two categories for a period of 24 months following the program sponsorship end date.
  • Recipients of Commission awards must travel on U.S. Government-sponsored “Exchange Visitor” visas. They may not travel on any other. Please note that anyone admitted as an Exchange Visitor to the United States must return to his/her country for two years before returning to the United States as a permanent resident, temporary worker or trainee, or intra-company transferee.

Read more: Fulbright-Schuman One Pager (.doc)

Grants are also available for professionals in international education administration from U.S. universities for research in the field of international higher education administration that would be mutually beneficial to both the institutions. Candidates are responsible for arranging their own placement and do not need to hold a PhD. Grants are for a minimum of 2 months and a maximum period of 4 months.

Read more: Fulbright-Schuman One Pager (.doc)